Monday 25 July 2005

Mid year Christmas

Well, yes! In New Zealand there is such a thing as mid year Christmas. It is actually an event although I was expecting a holiday.

A few days ago, as I was walking back from lunch, I saw the bank I was working with decorating a Christmas tree at the foyer. I thought I was lost in time. It is only July and the Christmas I know was like 5 months away.

Later I found out that since it will be summer during the actual Christmas in December, New Zealanders "celebrate" a winter Christmas in June / July as a mid year function. Although it is not a public holiday, it is a celebration by any means. Most of the departments at BNZ had lunches and dinners as part of the mid year function.

My department went out to a nice Indian restaurant in Courtney Place for lunch at 1.30pm. I thought lunch meant lunch but found out that it took the most part of the afternoon and evening. The "lunch" ended at 5.00pm!

No comments: